Monday, May 16, 2011

I Should Open a Bakery

This is tasty goodness at its best...which will be making its way over to the squad building tomorrow for everyone to enjoy! (Sorry to the Wednesday/Thursday crews, it'll probably/hopefully be gone by then...in fact I feel bad because I really need to start dropping stuff off for the dispatchers all the way on the other side of town, down the street and around the corner). As all of you know about me, I'm horrible at 1) dragging my little buns to the grocery store; 2) actually baking when I say I'm going to without the pager going off in my ear 3) arguing with myself about why I bake in the first place since I hate measuring and 4) trying to bargain on the chances of the house burning down if I were to leave what I'm baking in the oven while I go running to wherever the pager sends me to. But given all these limitations, this was super easy and definitely what I would pick out as a go-to when you have to bring something to a party or a picnic because you can eat it hot or cold.

The great part about this recipe is you don't need to use fresh produce (although I have before! But I don't think it had a great taste difference, and I'm not growing peaches or raspberries in the garden that I still haven't had to water with the torrential downpours recently).

Tasty goodness of the day: Peach Raspberry Crisp

Pam Baking Spray With Flour (be careful with this too, most people keep the regular cooking spray type, or the olive oil flavor around and this has disaster written all over it when it comes to baking)

For the fruit:
1 (12 oz) bag frozen raspberries-keep in mind that they will probably contain sugar
1 (24.5 oz) plastic jar peaches in syrup, drained well
1 tablespoon granulated (white) sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

For the crumb topping:
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (I dare you to use instant if you want a sticky hot mess-don't do it!)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used that because it's what I had, I prefer to cook and bake with granulated brown sugar)

Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x9" Pyrex glass baking dish with the Pam. Pour in the frozen raspberries and the peaches (make sure you drain them well, you don't want a soupy mess). Sprinkle with the cornstarch and white sugar. This is what it looks like before it's been stirred:
Stir well to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes, it helps the juices develop.  

Melt the butter in the microwave in a small bowl. Remove the bowl from the microwave and add the oats and brown sugar. Stir well to coat the oats. Spread the oats mixture on top of the fruit . This is what it looks like before it goes into the oven.
Bake for 25 minutes until it's bubbling throughout. When its done, it will look like this:
You guys really are gonna love this! Try making it with other types of canned fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment