Friday, May 27, 2011

the secret recipe

I have finally developed the perfect barbecue sauce recipe...I share it with definite hesitation because I really should keep a secret recipe but I figure Memorial Day is the perfect occasion to share a little bit of foodie love. I usually make one batch of this recipe and freeze half because it makes a lot more than it looks like. I use this recipe to make lots of other ones, and once you make it you will never want to buy bottled stuff from the store either :)

It's what is usually known in BBQ as Kansas City style, meaning tomato based sauce that focuses mainly on sweetness. I don't love spicy sauce, but you can always add more Frank's, or even cayenne pepper, if that's more your thing. I am also completely against adding liquid smoke, which is pretty normal down south, but I don't particularly enjoy eating food that tastes like burnt popcorn.

Here's the disclaimer: if you cook it at too high of a temperature, the bottom WILL burn and the sauce will taste horrible. Trust me, I've done it before in a more than once kinda way. Make sure you stir it well every few minutes to prevent this from happening.

Honey Bear BBQ Sauce

4 c ketchup
1 c apple cider vinegar
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup granulated brown sugar
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp French’s mustard
2 tbsp OJ or lime juice (whichever one you have)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Frank’s hot sauce

Combine ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat (this may take a while), stirring vigorously with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Once at a boil, turn heat to low and allow to simmer covered halfway (stirring very frequently)  for at least one hour before using in another recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Is this the recipe from Honey Bear's BBQ in Phoenix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no, this is a recipes I wrote and tested myself...it’s great for summer barbecues though!

      Delete