Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lesson Learned

 Life lesson of the week/month/year: never use the Q word on the internet. I'm finally blogging after having no time to actually sit down (or sleep, no less) since Thursday night between nonstop calls, Mary's graduation, lunch and drinks at Bamboo, the EMS dinner last night, and more calls today, You'd think I climbed on the top of the roof at the squad building and screamed it at the top of my lungs.  Not to mention that I haven't watered the garden either since I planted it so hopefully everything is alive and well (I'm sure there was a pool going on how long it would take me to mess this project up)... But for now it's back to business.

Today's inspiration comes from my cousin, Lyndsey (pictured in the pink dress), who got her new set of lungs 6 weeks ago after suffering from Cystic Fibrosis her entire life. I wish I got to spend more time with her, but the last time I was up there I brought this mac and cheese with me for her and her family to enjoy. She says she loved it, and and I wanted to share it in celebration of her being so strong and brave throughout her ordeal. Love you Lynz!



Mac and cheese

This is the perfect recipe. The onion and tomato paste bring the flavors to a whole new level.

½ onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
S&P
2 ½ c whole milk
2/3 box elbow macaroni
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 c cheddar cheese, shredded (use freshly grated from a block, preshredded doesn't melt as well here)

Sauté onions in oil and butter until brown, and season with salt and pepper. Add flour to pan and allow to cook 2 minutes until the flour is cooked through. Add milk 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly with a whisk until a smooth white sauce is formed.

Meanwhile, add elbows to boiling water and cook 4-5 minutes until slightly below al dente, and drain. Return to hot pot.

Add tomato paste to white sauce, then add cheese and stir with a wooden spoon until melted completely and the sauce is bubbling. Pour sauce over pasta, and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment